Tuesday, March 18, 2008

2008.03.18. Fear. Get behind me! Josh 2:9

Why should the Israelites have fear? Fear has fallen upon their enemies. Why do we need to fear? For when God is for us, what on earth (literally) do we need to fear?

Jos 2:9 and said to the men, "I know that the LORD has given you the land, and that the fear of you has fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land melt away before you.

Four times Joshua is reminded in the previous chapter that he should be strong and courageous. It's almost like a broken record. But it is not without warrant. This is probably the biggest moment in his life. He has not gone in battle so many times before. This is pretty huge. And not to mention the entire task at hand could seem pretty overwhelming to a person. Just saying that we are going to take the land would seem daunting.

But God says "Be strong and courageous, Be strong and courageous, Be strong and courageous, Be strong and courageous." I would start to believe it if this came from the father. And so Joshua sets out his plans.

And what happens, this Jericho woman and all her people are in fear of the Israelites. What do you know? Of course they are, they have heard about all that God has done for them. I would be shaking too if I heard a peoples are coming and they have kicked everyone's butte whom they have run into.

I personally would be very encouraged if I were on God's side. Why do I go to fear, when I have the ultimate fighter on my side? When He has made available everything to me? Father, help me to live in your promises, in your truths, that I may be strong and courageous to act. For I have nothing to fear, but others who are not for you have plenty. Thank you that you are for me and with me. Amen.

No comments: