Tuesday, March 11, 2008

2008.03.11. You do this where I tell you to do it. Deu 16.5-6

Deu 16:5 You may not offer the Passover sacrifice within any of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you,
Deu 16:6 but at the place that the LORD your God will choose, to make his name dwell in it, there you shall offer the Passover sacrifice, in the evening at sunset, at the time you came out of Egypt.

I don't know if I fully understand why these rules must be followed so closely. Is it show they can show some effort by going to the designated places, is it so that they will follow God's commands. God says do it to make his name dwell in it.

It must be in order for people to know that He is God. Because He is worthy to receive these sacrifices and celebrations the way that He requires them. It may seem trivial to do it in this manner, but God has specifically asked that worship be done in this particular manner. And for them it is not to question the means but to obey the God who has spoken to them and revealed His ways to them.

Father, I just think of the ways that you prompt and communicate to me. Sometimes it isn't always convenient, or the most logical. For I think I can do that when I'm ready, or there is a better day. But I believe what this is communicating is that you just want me to obey.

I think of last Friday when I got lunch on campus, there was an international student that was sitting by himself. I felt really prompted to engage with him, but I talked my way out of it. "oh, I'm going to meet up with international students, I don't need to talk with this guy." But instead I just needed to obey that prompting. Father, help me cling to your ways and your word that I would not turn to the right or to the left, but fall on every direction that you give me. Amen.

No comments: