Monday, March 03, 2008

2008.03.03. Don't just think of yourself. Num 32.5-7.

Num 32:5 And they said, "If we have found favor in your sight, let this land be given to your servants for a possession. Do not take us across the Jordan."
Num 32:6 But Moses said to the people of Gad and to the people of Reuben, "Shall your brothers go to the war while you sit here?
Num 32:7 Why will you discourage the heart of the people of Israel from going over into the land that the LORD has given them?

It seem like such an innocent request. Is it okay if we just stay here? We have found the place where we would like to stay, if we don't have to I'd rather not cross the Jordan. But God calls us to a different place. Moses calls it out for what it is, it is discouraging the Israelites to fulfill what they have been called to do. It is disobedience. And Moses helps them see how similar it is to what their fathers did and the punishments that ensued.

This is the heart that I have. I am not looking out for my brothers well-being. I am looking for my own comfort and establishment. That I may receive what is coming to me, but I could care less if someone else is stranded or helpless.

I often think of the poor in this scenerio. My obligation is to help my fellow man. I consider a food hand-out as adequate, but what about clothing, housing, health, etc. What should be my role in providing that for others with a need? God has provided so much for me, yet I am content in not thinking about others.

Jesus is the ultimate brother, who did not think of himself, but freely gave of himself so that we might have life.

Father help me to live in this supernatural realm of thinking selflessly like your son, where I would consider others needs above my own. For I would use what you have given me for the blessings of others. For it is yours. Amen.

No comments: