Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Rest and Refreshment

One of the things I have loved about my role here in greater Seattle is that I get to care for the whole person-student, staff, faculty, volunteer, or otherwise.  I get to fight for people to walk closely with the Lord, discern next best steps, care for their families, and take time and space to rest and recharge.  So after 17 years on staff, I had the opportunity to take a sabbatical for 6 weeks this summer, to reflect on some of these things for our family and role in ministry. As we are now praying and planning for the fall we can see the blessing and benefit of times of reflection and rest, that are vital to the immediate and long term health of us personally and for our team.  

“What is broken in this world that You need me specifically to bring healing toward?”  This is a question I pondered and asked the Lord. His answer was clear:  Marriages.  It’s a topic that has been on my heart and Patrice’s for a while now.  God has uniquely positioned us, our story, our experiences, with opportunities to bring hope.  We have begun to do premarital counseling with a handful of couples.  We feel honored and affirmed that God is presenting us opportunities to do this.  We don’t want to foolishly add to our plate, but during this season we feel we need to say yes.  In some ways we see it as a continuation of our work with staff, students, grads, and church community.  We want to bring health to the whole person.  I believe that how we model as a couple, family, deal with conflict, raise kids, deal with failure, and treat one another with honor--that these will have a greater impact than anything we say or preach.  

Even as I write these things.  I sense God pricking us, that this is significant and sacred work.  To enter into these private and revealing conversations.  To have the opportunity to ward off future hurts and pain, to bring wholeness and healing, to mend the pain of generations within our communities seems so awesome and yet I believe the enemy would want to throw everything at us to take us away from this incredible calling.  Please pray on our behalf. Contend with us for this important area of discipleship. I believe this is a long term goal in making disciples for the kingdom.

No comments: