Friday, June 20, 2008

2008.06.20. A poor Trade. 2Kings 5:25-27

2Ki 5:25 He went in and stood before his master, and Elisha said to him, "Where have you been, Gehazi?" And he said, "Your servant went nowhere."
2Ki 5:26 But he said to him, "Did not my heart go when the man turned from his chariot to meet you? Was it a time to accept money and garments, olive orchards and vineyards, sheep and oxen, male servants and female servants?
2Ki 5:27 Therefore the leprosy of Naaman shall cling to you and to your descendants forever." So he went out from his presence a leper, like snow.

A bad trade. Gehazi went after riches and forfieted his well being. It's not clear whether he traded his soul, but it might as well be. He left the presence of his master (who is filled with the spirit of God) for riches that he thought he could hide from him. And the leprosy not only affected him but his descendants forever. That is a poor trade.

I believe I can make these bad trades all the time. They may be subtle or may be blatantly obvious but I choose to induldge the less valuable (toys, arguments, self-righteousness) for His greatness and glory.

Father, would you help me to weigh the importance of your kingdom and consider what I need to be a part of. For your glory is more important than anything I could ever come up with or try and get away with. Amen.

No comments: