Wednesday, January 30, 2008

2008.01.30 This gets my best attention. Acts 6.4

Act 6:4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word."

I don't believe that the argument that these men were self righteous toward themselves and would not lower themselves to serve tables. I think they knew the calling that was upon themselves to pray and proclaim the message of Christ unto others. They didn't want to waiver in their calling toward God. If they thought the position of taking care of the dispute was unimportant they wouldn't have cared who would have been appointed over the matter. But they were very specific and called excellent men forward to take on this task.
These disciples understood that their time and resources where limited. They wanted to focus most if not all of their energy toward their calling.

I know I can get so distracted and even when a good cause comes along I want to be able to contribute or "do something". But is that the best thing that I can do? Or it seems from this passage that I should be adamant in holding on to the purpose for which I have been called.

Father help me to focus on your kingdom causes. I don't have to focus on all of them, only the ones you want me to address. Give me the wisdom to discern which ones those are. Amen.

No comments: